Friday, November 18, 2011

My First Post


My Ultimate Solution to the Republican problem :
  1. I build a Time Machine,
  2. I travel back to Washington, DC in late 1864, 
  3. I find Abraham Lincoln and convince him that I am from the future and need to transport him to my present (November, 2011)—to show him the consequences of his conciliatory approach toward the Confederate South at the end of the Civil War, and
  4. I then send Lincoln back to late 1864, where he can change history. Instead of holding them back, as he did in the original time-line, he directs Generals Grant and Sherman to finish the job they have already started. He explicitly directs then to burn the entire South to the ground and kill every last god fearing Confederate man, woman, and child...

Ok, maybe I should not have used the term Ultimate Solution. Although it has been over 60 years, the phrase still (understandably) touches a nerve with my Jewish friends. But just think about it: no Nixon Southern Strategy to exploit racism in 1968 and 1972; the Equal Rights Amendment passes in the 1970s; no Right Wing Fundamentalist Christian movement starting in the 1980s with Ronald Reagan's campaignhell, even batter, no President Reagan; no Right to Life Movement after Roe v. Wade starting in the 1970s and continuing to this day; no on-going Culture Wars; no NRA or gun-nut lobby; and maybe best of all, no Tea Party Republicans to have to placate in the Congress today.

I freely admit that this is an extreme approach to the problem. But someone once said: "Extremism in the defense of Freedom is no vice." (Barry Goldwater) And you have to concede that it really does solve a lot of problems we now face, in one clean shot.

1 comment: